Thursday, October 2, 2008

Intra Ship Transport

Also, a short description of walking somewhere.

The problem with the hallways is that they are about 4 feet wide. So if you are a person on vacation with your friends and you have no reason to hurry, you will probably stroll in these hallways. If you need to get somewhere, and are behind these slow moving hallway corks, your travel time will double. You cannot say “MOVE” and battle past them because they have seen you in a show or will see you in one and the idea is that they like you. Or if you say “MOVE” or “pardon me” they may want to talk to you about the show, which can quintuple your travel time. This is the patience exercise many of us unwillingly practice.

Sometimes we fantasize about life off the ship. Cooking, laying on a couch without surveillance watching, the people in uniforms dream about wearing crappy clothes. My favorite fantasy is “not having to respond like a servant. If someone asks me directions I can say no or be rude or I don’t know.” This is from a youth counselor. There is a marked increase of “good evening ma’am” and “how are you tonight ma’am” in the buffet.

I did have a nice Indian gentleman make me some pasta. This was a highlight.

No comments: