Thursday, October 2, 2008

I shall do this again. Hair.

We have only 3 cruises left, then we are free.

I will be doing another cruise because I want to for pure reasons. Or rather, ever been in debt for a while? Ever had that debt go away? Remember how that feels? Well, it’s not bad. And also, how about a year solid on a boat? What will happen then? How many desserts can one person inhale? Will there ever be enough? Will treadmills ever be remotely fun? Can I finally see the fuel (no)? How many seasons of television can a human consume? What’s the port of Miami like? How is Christmas on a boat/will it result in alcohol poisoning? And of course: What will happen with my hair?

If some guys are upset by the degree that they are interested in sports, I am possibly equally upset by the degree that I find hair interesting. There is an adult woman with Down’s Syndrome on the boat who has a swingie haircut and highlights. Most of the Midwestern women look the same (short, curling-ironed, beige-ie colored). The east coast ladies can be a little more Carmella Soprano or the brunette equivalent. I went into a very vegetarian/vegan/community coffee shop in Halifax that has a dove as part of it’s logo and posters all over the place with lists of like “how to stop global warming!” and “how to build community!” and when I said I wanted a copy of my receipt, I felt guilty. Everything is aggressively recycled. There were two maps of the world on the wall, both of them the special map that is upside down. One on the side wall in the main shop, one on the way to the bathroom. When you use the bathroom, you are forced to stare at a “how to build community” list. I hate being told what to do, even if I agree with what I am being told. I had the same haircut as 3 of the women who worked there.

No comments: