Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Nepalese, The Kids

Tonight a Nepalese security guard is going home. “For four months man!” Apparently, there is a GI Bill in Nepal, kinda. Join the army, get into the security guard profession for cruise ships. I am not making this up. The guy, named Chandra, which means moon was with his friend who at first made no face at all, like didn’t even say “yes” when Chandra asked him a question. Chandra was very happy to be leaving and was wearing a red track suit with a random gold pin, also a baseball hat artfully to the side, meaning he looked like a guy from Jersey a teeny bit. He shook all of our hands, and so did his friend. He about tore my arm from my shoulder, and they shake hello and goodbye. His friend had a track suit on also, but was zipped up. He had no expression. Chandra was a thrilled mayor and took photos with us. His expression-free friend

Here are things that are universal, as proven by the Nepalese Chandra and his expression-free friend. Expression-free friend reviewed the photos and lit up like a Christmas tree and insisted on showing us, strangers. It is incredibly fun to review photos. This is cross cultural.

Also, everyone says a time ranging from 20-30 when describing where he or she lives. Chandra said he lives not in Katmandu, but a “25 minute flight south.” Yes, he said flight. Still.

While walking down to the crew bar I met four 11 year old girls hanging out on the stairs, ripping up paper for something. One boldly said “what’s up” to me, a terrifying adult. You can hear the music from the crew bar about 3 flights up if you are standing by the stairs. For no reason, they crank reggae in the crew bar. I mean deafening, even when there are only like 10 people in the room and no one is dancing. It makes no sense. To get to the crew bar, you go down stairs, where passengers cannot go. These stairs are roped off by a metal chain with a little wooden sign that says “crew only” in a I-was-written-with-a-party-paintbrush!!! font. The curiousity would kill me if I were them. They brave girl and I had this conversation:

“Why is it so loud?” (totally disgusted and indignant)
“It’s the crew bar. It’s a few floors down.”
“Well why is the music so loud.””I don’t know.”
“Can we go down there?”
“No. It’s for crew.”
“Why—wait why are you going down there!” (because I walked over the chain)
“Because I’m crew” and I looked very empathetic while they looked disgusted and cheated. I believe I felt empathetic, but maybe I did not.

We taught the 10-12 year olds today, who again, proved hilarious in the Q&A section. We got “can I tell a joke?” question and the “I forgot” question (the joke is “what’s green and goes backwards,” the punchline is inhaling snot in your nose. Not bad.), which is now a classic. We got the “do you do birthday parties?” question, which I would like to say no to, but the answer, in truth, is “yes.” Specifically, “I have done them.” They wanted to know who to call. One particular smartass wanted to know if they could get a 75% discount if they said we were close personal friends. I said if we are close personal friends they have to come paint my house. To which they said “okay where do you live!” and I said “deck 11” and they said “I live there too!” because they are ridiculous and forgot we were having a fight.

No comments: