Sunday, March 8, 2009

Eating in the Bathroom

There is usually one woman who stands near the back entrance of the buffet. She holds a spray bottle and says “sanitize” in a sing-song way or “please sanitize your hands.” I think this is the beginner spot for this job because they are near a door they can’t see which constantly opens out to the back of the ship. If it’s kinda cold, they are hit by the gust of wind. These ladies are frequently wearing man-sized coats with rolled up sleeves. They are also outside the men’s and women’s bathrooms. Rough. Although, also, sometimes, hilarious and a test for chipperness.

 

One afternoon, I went to lunch and the lady was distracted by a man who came out of the men’s bathroom eating a soft serve ice cream cone. And pretty well into it. The sanitizing lady said “oh! You are… eating in the bathroom! Hahaha!” to which he said “yap!” and kept on licking and walking like nothing happened. About 3 people walked by her into the buffet and didn’t sanitize their hands. I think she was stunned. Also, the problem with GI starts when people go to the bathroom, don’t wash their hands, and eat, because they may eat a microscopic bit of feces. I’m sure her brain collapsed at the idea of eating in the bathroom.

 

I must also record my favorite compliment. Someone stopped Ashley and I and told Ashley “oh you are so funny! We LOVED the blow up doll!” Then they turned to me and said, post-blinking “the serious stuff is good too.”

No comments: